Our current pastor is Rev. Walter Ratcliffe. Click here for more about Pastor Ratcliffe and his bio.
Statement of Faith
Click here to read our Statement of Faith.
Click here to read GSBC’s Doctrine.
(Click here to read about “Our Legacy” and former pastor.)
The Good Shepherd Baptist Church originated in the heart of the late Sis. Rachel Barnett. In March 1958, Sis. Barnett asked Bro. and Sis. James Parker, Sr. to assist her in a Sunday School for boys and girls which was held in her home at 1331 East 110th Street. After holding Sunday School there for two weeks, Sis. Barnett suggested it would be better to meet in a building. She located a storefront at 1208 Parkwood Drive. Click here to view pictures of our buildings and locations since 1958. “Hitherto, the Lord has brought us thus far.”
Good Shepherd Baptist Church (1958 location) Good Shepherd Baptist Church (current location)
In September 1959, Bro. Eddie L. Hawkins was appointed director of the work and it then became known as the Good Shepherd Bible Center. When the Center was consistently filled to capacity, the group purchased a house at 10744 Superior Avenue and converted it into a chapel suitable for worship. In March 1962, Good Shepherd Bible Center was organized as Good Shepherd Baptist Church with Reverend Eddie L. Hawkins as Pastor. Click here for more information about our legacy and bio for Pastor Eddie L. Hawkins.
Again, when we were consistently filled to capacity, the Lord gave us, without down payment, our former building at 13028 Shaw Avenue, September 1965. The Lord continued to bless, and as we needed more classroom space, he enabled us to purchase the facilities next door in 1974. “Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; Serving the Lord” Romans 12:11, the Lord gave us our former building on Shaw Avenue “debt free” on March 21, 1976 (through an agency of the former Shaw Avenue Baptist Church and Baptist Mid-Missions of Cleveland, OH).
In March 1982, the Pastor along with the Trustee Board and the Deacons appointed a committee to investigate the property here at 17822 Euclid Avenue. The negotiating committee consisted of Bro’s William Saunders (chairman), Ernest Lane, George Yarbrough, and Thomas Champion. The negotiations were brought to a successful conclusion and we held our first worship service here on Sunday, September 12, 1982.
On March 15, 1992 we burned the mortgage here at 17822 Euclid Avenue. God once again has given to us this property debt free. “As the praises go up the blessings come down.” By God’s blessings, we continued to grow both numerically and spiritually. To date, we have more than 2500 members on roll.
In obedience to the leading of the Lord, we have begun two Mission Churches from within our church family: Central Bible Baptist (April 1992) and Faith Fundamental Baptist Church (April 1993).
In January of 1988 our own AWANA Club (Approved Workman Are Not Ashamed) based on II Timothy 2:15, was started here and to date we touch the lives of more than 200 children weekly.
In May 1991, we held our first all night Prayer Vigil. On March 1, 1992 classes began in Good Shepherd’s own School Of The Bible, an affiliate of Evangelical Training Association, today known as Cleveland Bible Baptist College. Pastor Eddie L. Hawkins received an Honorary Degree of Divinity from Cedarville University in June 6, 1998.
Our Radio Ministry began October 19, 2000 and our Television Ministry began on March 5, 2001. In September 2001, our childcare facility (The Shepherd’s Haven, Youth Prep Center, Inc.) was birthed. “To God Be The Glory!”
We thank the Lord for the legacy of love and endurance Sis. Norma Jean Hawkins left during these past 40 years of service to Good Shepherd and it’s entire flock. By God’s grace, we will continue to be faithful in our Mission of . . . “Getting The Word of God to the People.
We thank God for Good Shepherd Baptist Church’s strong spiritual legacy.